background image
Trip & Fuel Permits

If your company is not registered under IRP(International Registration Plan) or under IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement), you might need to obtain trip and/or fuel permits if you travel outside of your registered state or province. Here are the rules that determine if a trip and fuel permit is needed:

  • Power unit having two (2) axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of 26, 000 pounds (11 790 kgs); or
  • Power unit having three (3) or more axles, regardless of weight; or
  • Used in combination of two vehicles (2) when the weight of such combination exceeds 26 000 pounds (11 790 kgs) gross vehicle weight.

IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement)
The temporary fuel tax is similar to a temporary vehicle registration, with the exception of how they are identified. Fuel tax is done by an IFTA sticker that is placed on the side of the truck. This sticker is valid for one year from its application. If one does not have the IFTA sticker, they will need to apply for a temporary fuel tax permit for the states that they are planning on traveling. If you have the IFTA sticker you must file for Fuel Tax.

Oversize or overweight load is any load carried by a vehicle that exceeds size or weight limits for any road or highway. Oversized refers to a vehicle that exceeds one or more dimension (length of the trailer, width of load being carried, or the over-all height of the load on the trailer.) Overweight vehicles are fairly self-explanatory; if the vehicle and load weigh more than the limit that the route allows it is overweight.

Examples of OS/OW (oversize/overweight) loads include construction equipment, (cranes, bulldozers, etc) homes, large farming or industrial equipment, (windmills, large tractors, etc) and various other large items or machines.

Each state is allowed to set their own rules on what limits they want to set on their own interstate highways. However there are certain restrictions that are placed on the states by the Federal Highway Administration. On the National System (this includes the Interstate System and routes that have been certified by states saying they can accommodate larger vehicles) there are various restrictions for each state.

IRP (International Registration Plan) Tag
Vehicle registration refers to the actual legal registration of a tractor for a particular state for a set amount of time. There are two types of vehicle registration.

First, you have an IRP (International Registration Plan) tag. This permit contains all the states that your truck is registered for, and the weights that they are registered for in that particular state.

The second type is a base plate. A base plate is for your base state only if you want to travel to another state and you have an IRP tag. As long as that state is listed you can travel into that state without obtaining any permit; however if you don't have that state listed you can obtain a temporary IRP permit.

If you have a base plate you must obtain a temporary IRP permit to travel to that state. A temporary IRP permit will legalize a driver for a specific period of time such as 3-5 days in the state that he or she is traveling. If a driver is traveling to multiple states, more than one vehicle registration will be required; if they don't have it listed. The driver will need to obtain registration in every state that he travels with the load that is not listed